Monday, November 9, 2009

Richard Avedon @ MoMA

I like Richard Avedon's photographs, esp. his photographs of celebrities from a bygone era. I like the fact that they included pics of common folks. They are the most candid ones with the exception of the celebrity shots of Charlie Chaplin (can you believe he's a blond? And he doesn't even have his signature mustache!) and Andy Warhol & Company (minus Edie Sedgwick) are pretty candid.
Speaking of Andy Warhol & his cohorts (let me emphasis this one more time, Edie Sedgwick was excluded from this shot) they were either clothed or nude in that Richard Avedon photo spread. Yeah, wow, indeed. Can you imagine? That was my first impression. To tell you the truth, I didn't want to look at it. But there it is.
I wonder...why wasn't Edie Sedgwick in the photo spread? Wasn't she important enough or was she just a prude? I know, I know, I shouldn't speak ill of the long-dead & long-forgotten (maybe; there still immortalized in movies and such like photos like Richard Avedon) celebrities.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this exhibit too- My favorite was of the drifter with the freckles on his hands. You could tell Avedon used big format cameras and was a master at lighting, the way he was able to blow up the images into those huge prints.
    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete